Thursday, May 10, 2012

Solution for a common error "An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again"

After some time I am back in web site coding. I think out of sight is out of mind is correct. Because I got into a very familiar error message, but forgot what I did back then. Anyway after some struggle I got over with it.

Above error message is a common error that throws when you try to access the Web Site Administration Tool. The reason behind is in the physical folder structure for your web application or web site is containing spaces in at least one of the folder names.

This error message is a very high level error message, so there may be other scenarios that it throws the same error message. I have no clue more than this.

My advice is to always keep your solutions path without spaces, you may use "_" or Camel-Case for folder naming.

I wish this information will be useful to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment